Understanding the different concepts of learning is very important when you are a teacher. Being able to understand that students will all learn
differently, remember things differently, and that there are strategies we
can learn and use to help promote learning to the students is important (pg. 254). Reading
on all the different kinds of consequences and conditions really makes you
think and understand why teachers do the things they did when we were in
school. Getting rewarded with stickers, food prizes, no homework, or extra
credit all were given for a specific reason at a specific time (pg. 256). We as
teachers need to learn how to give the appropriate positive and negative reinforcement
so the students will learn themselves why they did right or wrong. Reading
further in this chapter, I found reinforcement scheduling very interesting. It
does make sense though to move from continuous to intermittent to interval and
so on. This all is important because the amount that is given will influence
how persistent a student will respond to it, and help find the most effective
strategy to be successful with them (pg. 259). Knowing all of this can help
prepare for when there is misbehavior and when negative reinforcement and
punishment is needed. This is something I am nervous about because it’s hard to
discipline kids who aren’t yours and try to find a way for them to understand they
are wrong and how to fix the problem. The biggest take away I got from this topic
was to make sure the child knows what they should be doing instead of their
negative behavior to make it right.
Respect is something that needs to be taught immediately in the classroom. Without respect from every single one of your students, it is going to be very challenging to have a successful year. This chapter talked about how that the teachers just being present can lead to positive behavior versus when the teacher leaves the class or there is a substitute (pg. 271). Respect for that teacher needs to be made first. I can agree with this. I feel like there was always one student who would mess with the substitute teachers because they thought they could get away with it. Therefore, it is so important to have a strong relationship with your students that is based off respect. This respect should be encouraged always, to any adult, even when the teacher is away. I think it is important to set rules straight away with your students and keep them throughout the year, but take the year to learn what kind of reinforcements work the best and what doesn’t seem to have an effect. I have been understanding that teaching is always going to be a learning process and what may have worked for one class may not work for your class next year. I am looking forward to these challenges and working together to figure out how to do it best.
Respect is something that needs to be taught immediately in the classroom. Without respect from every single one of your students, it is going to be very challenging to have a successful year. This chapter talked about how that the teachers just being present can lead to positive behavior versus when the teacher leaves the class or there is a substitute (pg. 271). Respect for that teacher needs to be made first. I can agree with this. I feel like there was always one student who would mess with the substitute teachers because they thought they could get away with it. Therefore, it is so important to have a strong relationship with your students that is based off respect. This respect should be encouraged always, to any adult, even when the teacher is away. I think it is important to set rules straight away with your students and keep them throughout the year, but take the year to learn what kind of reinforcements work the best and what doesn’t seem to have an effect. I have been understanding that teaching is always going to be a learning process and what may have worked for one class may not work for your class next year. I am looking forward to these challenges and working together to figure out how to do it best.
Hi Anne,
ReplyDeleteStudents will learn different strategies in a way that will be helpful for them to remember. When I worked with a teacher in school, she told the student to always remember the word PIE when thinking about the author's purpose. PIE means to persuade, to inform, and to entertain. That made it easier for the students to always remember authors purpose. It is hard to discipline students that are not yours. The class can develop rules at the beginning of school year and if they do not follow rules they will be disciplined. The students can help me write the class discipline policy. It will be my job to carry out the rules of the classroom. Showing respect to the student is important because they will show you the same respect. I will teach my students at a young age to have integrity at all times in school.
Hi Anne,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post! When a child shows negative behavior, teachers must try to find techniques that will reduce student disappointment. It seems that every school year teachers are faced with challenging behavior in the classroom. Reading this chapter, I found out that in order to minimize negative behavior and produce desirable behavior, teachers need to use positive reinforces that appeal to students’ needs. As teachers, we need first to understand these problems and seeing the world through the eyes of our students. Developing and using a set of intervention strategies on a regular basis, problems of emotions and behavior can be effectively managed and changed in the classroom.
Great! Respect should be consider apart of the learning process. Students have to know explicitly how respect is view and or define. As you stated, each student comes with different experiences.
ReplyDelete